Each year around 4% of private housing changes ownership as people move home across the UK. In Scotland, the proportion is the highest of the UK nations at 5.2%. A swathe of activity over the summer, fuelled by home movers seeking a change, means sales levels for 2020 are likely to be better than many expected.
The most active housing markets in Scotland are currently in Midlothian, East Lothian and South Lanarkshire where over 6% of private housing has exchanged hands over the past year.
Property prices across Scotland were 2.9% higher year-on-year as the housing market reopened in June. Na h-Eileanan Siar is currently the top performer with growth of 12.1%. Activity across the UK has been brisk; nationally the average time taken to sell a property fell to 53 days this August, down from 62 days in August 2019. Sensible pricing remains crucial; correctly priced properties are nearly twice as likely to be sold ‘subject to contract’ within four months of listing than those that have had their asking price reduced. Homes in Scotland are taking, on average, just 35 days to sell.
This a substantial, unique and desirable family home is located in a quiet cul-de-sac, in the conservation village of Muirhouses. This property benefits from quick access to the M9 and the central belt motorway network. Edinburgh Airport is just 15 minutes away and nearby is the popular Royal Burgh of Linlithgow with trains to Edinburgh and Glasgow every 15 minutes during commuting times.
This beautiful blonde sandstone farmhouse, which has been extended and improved, is set in a highly convenient and prominent location in Linlithgow. This traditional mid-Victorian farmhouse offers a wealth of charm, period features and character and comprises generous flexible family accommodation over three floors.
This traditional sandstone first-floor flat, benefits from spacious accommodation and great views across the River Forth. This property would be ideal for the first-time buyer or buy-to-let investor. This home is accessed from the rear of the main building, with the accommodation consisting of an entrance porch, hallway, living room, kitchen, dining room, bedroom and bathroom.
Click to see the market reports in other regions:
● Market Report 2020 Autumn South West
● Market Report 2020 Autumn East Midlands
● Market Report 2020 Autumn Essex, Norfolk and Suffolk (East)
● Market Report 2020 Autumn Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire (East)
● Market Report 2020 Autumn London
● Market Report 2020 Autumn North East and Yorkshire
● Market Report 2020 Autumn North West and North Wales
● Market Report 2020 Autumn Northern Ireland
● Market Report 2020 Autumn South East Home Counties - Kent and East Sussex
● Market Report 2020 Autumn Southern Home Counties - Surrey and West Sussex
● Market Report 2020 Autumn Southern
● Market Report 2020 Autumn Thames Valley, Berkshire, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire
● Market Report 2020 Autumn West and South Wales
● Market Report 2020 Autumn West Midlands and Wales
If you want independent guidance on moving home or are looking for the best agent in your area, find your local Guild Member today.